Texas Confetti Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
Makes12 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in the turkey, tomatoes, corn, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, cilantro, chilies, vinegar, lime juice, mustard, cumin, garlic salt and pepper flakes. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Just before serving, stir in avocado.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 426 calories, 23g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 16, 2012
I tried this recipe for a potluck this past weekend. It turned out delicious! I did leave out the turkey, as I was not intending to serve it as a main dish, and it was wonderful without the turkey. I also left out the red onion and substituted some instant minced onion instead. I did cut back on the spices just a bit, using only 2 tsp. of cumin and 1/4 tsp. of the crushed red pepper flakes. I think that another time I may add a second avocado, as it added a really nice flavor and texture dimension to the salad. All in all, a keeper recipe that I will be likely to make often for potlucks!