Northwoods Wild Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 40 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, apple, celery, carrot, onion and cooled rice. In a small bowl, whisk the first five dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved; stir in herbs. Add to sauerkraut mixture; toss to combine.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours to allow flavors to blend. Stir in walnuts just before serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 290 calories, 17g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
May 6, 2019
I followed the recipe exactly except I didn't have fresh parsley on hand. I just added a bit of dried parsley instead. It turned out great! Fresh, crunchy, sweet and sour :) It makes a lot, so I will probably make it for the next potluck event I attend since it is very unique and definitely something not anyone else is going to make.