Mexican Rice Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Rinse rice with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and carrot in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to rice. Stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin. Pour over rice mixture; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 297 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 26, 2012
This salad is always a hit. The fresh flavors are amazing.
Aug 4, 2012
My family loved it! Even better left over!
Aug 26, 2010
I've made this recipe so many times, and it's always a hit.
Feb 19, 2009
This looks good, thanks for posting
Feb 19, 2009
My family loves this salad and eat it all summer long. I add zucchini and omit the peanuts.