Mexican Rice Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Rinse rice with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and carrot in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to rice. Stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes, peanuts and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin. Pour over rice mixture; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 297 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Aug 26, 2012
This salad is always a hit. The fresh flavors are amazing.
Aug 4, 2012
My family loved it! Even better left over!
Aug 26, 2010
I've made this recipe so many times, and it's always a hit.
Feb 19, 2009
This looks good, thanks for posting
Feb 19, 2009
My family loves this salad and eat it all summer long. I add zucchini and omit the peanuts.