Mexican Layered Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 large cucumber, halved and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, sliced or cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 1 each large green and sweet red pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer fresh vegetables. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chiles and seasonings; spread over top. Sprinkle with chips and cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 371 calories, 35g fat (6g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 17, 2019
What an awesome salad! I made it for a family gathering, so I used 6 cups of romaine, 1 3/4 cups mayonnaise, and layered it in a 12x8-inch pan. This worked perfectly and everyone thought the salad was great! A new favorite and something I can't wait to make again!
Mar 7, 2015
Easy recipe to make. For us it was pretty good. I just didn't like it wasn't something that could be had the next day. Or even make too far ahead. It was too soggy.
Feb 23, 2015
Good and easy recipes
Mar 31, 2014
Served this at a luncheon. I added alittle more chili powder and would cut down alittle on the mayonnaise but it had a good flavor and several wanted the recipe. It is a good mix of vegetables.
Mar 12, 2014
This a great salad with a pretty presentation. I don't care for mayo so I used ranch instead. I served the dressing on the side, but it was not necessary because everyone liked it. I made this dish along side a chilies rellenoes casserole.
Mar 22, 2013
I am a big fan of fudge & this is the best I have ever had. I gave to relatives & friends as a gift & all raved about the taste.
Nov 17, 2012
My review is based on the dressing. (As for the vegetable combination and presentation, I thought it was very good.) The dressing was overpowered by the chili powder. You could hardly taste any heat from the green chiles, and the mayo flavor was just too much. I felt embarrassed to serve it!
Oct 6, 2012
Very tasty. The flavors really blend well!! The only thing we do differently is that we leave out the avocadoes since we don't care for them. Simply DELICIOUS!!!
Jun 8, 2012
very tasty and easy to carry to dinners
Jan 21, 2012
All I can say is.....SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!