Layered Cornbread Salad
When the garden comes in, we harvest the veggies and layer them with cornbread and sweet relish for this snappy salad. Everyone wants seconds. —Rebecca Clark, Warrior, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Coarsely crumble cornbread into a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and relish.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl, layer a third of the cornbread and half of each of the following: beans, tomatoes, pepper, onion, bacon and mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cornbread. Refrigerate, covered, 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 299 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Corn Bread Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.