Southwestern Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cups ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled jicama or sliced water chestnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 4 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet; spritz both sides of strips with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 4-5 minutes or until crisp. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; set aside.
- Combine the salad greens, corn, beans, 1 cup tomatoes, green pepper, jicama and onions; arrange on a serving platter. Place chicken in center of salad; sprinkle with cheese and remaining tomatoes. Arrange tortilla strips around chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce; serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 331 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 865mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jul 5, 2013
This is so good. My whole family loved it.I didn't have any black beans :( so I used Kidney beans. Also, I used reg. tortilla chips and just limited the amount. Next time I may try to add something to the dressing to add a little more zip.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.