Colorful Cornbread Salad
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 4 to 6 cups torn romaine
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: Additional tomato and crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Coarsely crumble cornbread into a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing mix and adobo sauce.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl, layer a third of the cornbread and half of each of the following: romaine, tomatoes, pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cornbread and, if desired, additional chopped tomato and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 407 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Nov 16, 2018
This was delicious! The cornbread was an awesome twist
Jun 25, 2018
I've had much better cornbread salad; the adobo sauce is overpowering and frankly, disgusting in this recipe. On a side note - why do people from the South always have to trumpet the fact that they're from the South? You rarely if ever hear "Well I'm from the East and we..." or "I'm from the Southwest and we..." -- it's obnoxious - please stop.