Colorful Cornbread Salad
When my garden comes in, I harvest the veggies for potluck dishes. I live in the South, and we think bacon and cornbread make everything better, even salad! —Rebecca Clark, Warrior, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makes14 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 4 to 6 cups torn romaine
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional tomato and crumbled bacon, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Coarsely crumble corn bread into a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, salad dressing mix and adobo sauce.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl, layer a third of the corn bread and half of each of the following: romaine, tomatoes, pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and mayonnaise mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining corn bread and, if desired, additional chopped tomato and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 407 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Corn Bread Salad in Family Reunions 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.