Great Grain Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup each golden raisins, chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup walnut oil
- 2/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add barley and wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-65 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook basmati rice according to package directions. Cool barley and rices to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, parsley and orange zest; add barley and rices.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 368 calories, 22g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 3, 2013
I added some quinoa and wheat berries and used Newman's Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. Thanks, Rachel for a great inspiration.
May 27, 2013
I made this exactly the way written, even shared with neighbors and they all loved it too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.