Great Grain Salad
I can't think of a better dish to round out a meal. My grain salad features all my favorite nuts, seeds and fruits. Try adding grilled chicken to make it a meal on its own. —Rachel Dueker, Gervais, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup each golden raisins, chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup walnut oil
- 2/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add barley and wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-65 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook basmati rice according to package directions. Cool barley and rices to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, parsley and orange zest; add barley and rices.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 368 calories, 22g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 3, 2013
I added some quinoa and wheat berries and used Newman's Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. Thanks, Rachel for a great inspiration.
May 27, 2013
I made this exactly the way written, even shared with neighbors and they all loved it too.