Roasted Butternut Squash & Rice Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, oil and salt. Add squash; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased, foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine red peppers, pine nuts, green onions, dill, parsley, squash and rice. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 369 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 18, 2018
This is a great recipe. I made it for Christmas Eve as I was having a crowd over. As noted by others, it makes a very generous amount and I had leftovers. I froze the leftovers and actually busted them out last night. The salad was still delicious! Also, don't skip the fresh herbs, they really shine. Finally, I used pecans vs pine nuts and it worked like a charm.
Jan 11, 2018
This was REALLY good! I didn't have any dill, but it was still delicious. I used the packaged brown rice and quinoa from Costco, and I had diced up butternut squash from my garden in the freezer so it went together super easy! I can't wait to try it with the dill. It was a hit at our potluck!
Dec 20, 2017
Nummy! I made this as written except I subbed toasted slivered almonds for the pine nuts. I just couldn't spend the money when they were $29 a pound! I got 12 ounces of slivered almonds for $4. But aside from that the salad came together quite easily and was satisfying enough to be a meal (at least for me!).I liked the squash so well this way that I have since made roasted butternut squash by itself with the ingredients listed here.One of the things that really made this recipe pop for me were the fresh herbs - parsley (flat-leaf Italian) and dill. I could really taste that in every bite. Plus, the green onions which I added a little extra of after dressing the salad. It lasted a few days, and as many noted, is a big salad. I had originally made it for a group (that's how I found the recipe) and was quite happy to have leftovers.
Sep 9, 2017
Super delicious! I used a mixture of brown and wild rice and also added some dried cranberries before serving. The butternut squash was to die for, I will use that glaze next time I am just roasting squash. Everyone gave this rave reviews . Thanks Delores!
Jun 8, 2017
Yummy! Don't leave out the fresh dill. I did halve the amount of pine nuts because $$$$$.
Mar 15, 2017
I choose this recipe to fit a family members restricted diet- but everyone really liked it. Certainly will make again. I did not have parsley-so used cilantro, it was great! I also did not have pine nuts, so toasted a bit of sesame seed and walnuts- loved the nutty flavor
Feb 16, 2017
A nice salad to add to my "healthy" lunch list! Very colorful and tasty.
Nov 9, 2016
This was very good, but it makes ALOT!!! I didn't have fresh dill or parsley, so I just used dry spices.
Oct 30, 2016
Absolutely delicious! I've made this several times and it actually tastes better the next day. It makes alot, so next time I will cut the recipe in half. Pine nuts are what make this great.
Sep 26, 2016
This was good. I didn't have the pine nuts or fresh dill but it turned out pretty good.