Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh sage and thyme, optional
- In a saucepan, bring 3-1/2 cups broth and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in rice, mushrooms, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and the remaining broth. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Garnish with sage and thyme if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 221 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 27, 2014
My rice lovers said this was the best rice they had ever eaten!
Dec 23, 2013
It was a wonderful alternative to traditional dressing. I added the cooked giblets from the turkey to the mixture. My family loved it!
Nov 6, 2013
In place of the 2 cans of mushrooms I put the turkey neck, gizzard and liver in the bottom of a casserole and put the rice stuffing over it, cover and bake. Then stuff turkey with bread dressing. This is a must for our family. Everyone loves the dressings!
Nov 21, 2012
Delicious! I wasn't sure just 1 1/2 cups rice would make enough to fit into a 9x13 but it did! Will make this again and again.
Oct 13, 2010
My sil brought this to our family reunion over the weekend and everybody wanted the recipe.....it is DELICIOUS!!
May 3, 2010
I just made this side dish for my husband and our 3 sons. It was a hit! Our oldest son, a 19 year old college freshman, said, "This is the best rice dish I've ever eaten!" I will definitely be making this easy to prepare side dish again.
Oct 22, 2009
This is the best. My son was allergic to corn when we found the recipe and to me it as good as the cornbread dressing!!!! EXCELLENT! We make it every year even though my son can now have the cornbread dressing. It is a big hit whenever I take it anywhere.
Sep 11, 2008
I have made this many times over the years--yummy!