Rice with Collard Greens Relish
This is a staple in my country of origin, Zimbabwe. It is served with sadza; a cornmeal-based stiff porridge that is used like rice or potatoes in other cultures. —Loveness Murinda, Upland, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook; 20 min.
- 1 large bunch collard greens (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- Remove and discard center ribs and stems from collard greens. Cut leaves into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in water, tomatoes, curry powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add collard greens in batches; cook and stir until they begin to wilt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, 10-15 minutes. Prepare rice according to package directions. Serve with collard greens.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup collards with 2/3 cup rice: 239 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Collard Greens Relish in Simple & Delicious December/January 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.