Chicken Rice Casserole with Veggies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, onion and mushrooms until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, broth, corn, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Mar 11, 2014
Easy & good for you.
Feb 16, 2013
I liked this casserole since it doesn't use a goopy canned soup. However, when I make it again I'm going to saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic first, remove from the heat and then add the chopped peppers - sauteeing peppers makes them mushy, especially after being baked further. Also, instead of using regular chicken broth I will try using chicken base or bouillon granules to give it a more robust flavor. I'm glad I made the effort to include the toasted almonds - they really make the casserole!
Apr 30, 2012
It was very easy & quick to make. I used frozen green & red peppers, & left over chicken. The chicken I placed on top of the mixture. Added the toasted almonds & parsley & in the oven it went. It did a little longer in the oven as the rice didn't get done in 20 min.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.