Chicken Rice Dish
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch diagonal pieces)
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, asparagus, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet and 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken and salt in remaining butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add the carrot, lemon juice, garlic and lemon peel if desired; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Stir into rice mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 247 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jul 23, 2017
Delicious! The only change I made was to add the asparagus near the end of cooking so it would be more crisp.
May 1, 2012
I have made this dish twice already, and I doubled it both times so I could have leftovers for the next night. It's a delicious way to work in asparagus so that it's more appealing to kids. It's very easy to make, and I love the colors in it...it is very visually appealing. The touch of lemon is a nice twist. We liked it very much and will definitely make it again!