Wild Rice Chicken Dinner
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6-8 servings each)
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) sliced pimientos, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup slivered almonds, divided
- Heat rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the green beans, soup, water chestnuts, onion, pimientos, mayonnaise, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and rice; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a serving dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup almonds. Serve immediately. Pour the remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; cool. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 357 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2019
I thought this was a good recipe. I did leave out the water chestnuts and halved the recipe as I was not needing another casserole for us. I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder when cooking so it added some much needed seasoning. The leftovers were good, too.
May 30, 2017
This was bland the first time and did NOT freeze well, especially the water chestnuts. Don't even THINK about freezing with the almonds, that won't work. It needs flavor, like some cayenne pepper or something. I have no idea why everyone thinks it's so flavorful -- celery soup and mayo? Not sure what I was thinking.
Oct 29, 2014
my hubby, who is extremely picky, really liked this dish. Will definitely be making it again. I used leftover turkey rather than chicken, but in future would use whichever I have on hand. We discussed next time perhaps using a large red pepper or two rather than pimentos, since, oddly, we couldn't really taste the pimentos. Still a great tasting, very easy to make dish! Oh, another thing, we are Miracle Whip people, but for this dish I did use Mayonnaise, and we did NOT find it overpowering at all. I wonder if the folks who thought the taste was too strong were using Miracle Whip?
Feb 15, 2014
Husband loved this! We will eat it again!
Jan 14, 2014
This sounded so good but it was just okay. I added a small jar of sliced mushrooms. It isn't easy to heat up and there is no point in doing it in 2 steps. It was quite thick and I don't think the mayo is the right ingredient for this dish. Maybe light sour cream. The 'saucy' part of this recipe should be mixed before adding all the other stuff to make it easier to blend. I would omit the water chestnuts or coarsely chop next time.
Nov 29, 2013
We call this dish Chicken Spectacular. I have been cooking this recipe for years and my family loves it. I add mushrooms and I sprinkle Cheddar Cheese on the top approx 15 min before it is done just so the cheese can melt and brown. You can also add the Fried onions rings on the top of the casserole if you like.
Jun 19, 2013
This recipe is easy and delicious! Everyone that tries it likes it and wants the recipe. It is comfort food with lots of flavor.
May 9, 2013
1st time to try so i halved the recipe b/c there's only 3 of us and i didn't want too many left overs. my guys gobbled it up but said "it's nothing special". i liked it but thought it needed something else. i ate it w/tortilla chips instead of using sliced almonds. i don't like pimientos but used them anyway - VERY GOOD FLAVORS, will try it again w/some changes. i went easy on the mayo but added some sour cream (2 TBL) thanks for the recipe!
May 3, 2013
Mar 8, 2013
Very filling and tastes pretty great! I am looking forward to trying it again and making personal tweaks. :)