Collard Greens & Beans
I never tried collard greens until a friend gave me this recipe that calls for bacon and pinto beans. Now I look forward to serving this Southern staple on Thanksgiving. —April Burroughs, Vilonia, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Remove and discard center ribs and stems from collard greens. Cut leaves into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon and drippings; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add collard greens; cook and stir until they begin to wilt. Stir in water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 55-65 minutes or until greens are tender, adding beans during the last 15 minutes.
Originally published as Sweet Collard Greens in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.