Collard Greens & Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Remove and discard center ribs and stems from collard greens. Cut leaves into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon and drippings; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add collard greens; cook and stir until they begin to wilt. Stir in water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 55-65 minutes or until greens are tender, adding beans during the last 15 minutes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 15, 2018
we love collard greens so this made a amazing combination with the beans, family loved it!!
Dec 20, 2015
I used chicken stock in place of water and added 2 cups of chopped ham to make a main course dish. Yum!!