Black-Eyed Peas with Collard Greens
Time to gather round the table, y'all! This dish has special meaning on New Year's Day, when Southerners eat greens for future wealth and black-eyed peas for prosperity. —Athena Russell, Greenville, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups chopped collard greens
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add collard greens, salt and cayenne; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until greens are tender. Add peas, tomatoes and lemon juice; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Originally published as Collard and Black-Eyed Pea Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.