Spicy Shrimp with Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5-2/3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, parsley, pimientos, hot sauce, onion salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp; cook 5-7 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 273 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Dec 13, 2018
Very flavorful and delicious!
Oct 16, 2018
My husband and I love shrimp so I thought I would give this dish a try. It was good. Not too spicy for us and we were able to use our garden fresh green peppers. I ended up adding a touch of sugar to the sauce after tasting it.
Oct 3, 2018
This was amazing. I used 1 1/2 lbs. frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined (21-25 per lb.) and removed the tails before cooking. I used onion powder instead of salt and also sprinkled some oregano. Wow!
Feb 22, 2011
I loved it!It was easy to make.
Jan 18, 2011
Make this a lot. Very good.
Jan 5, 2010
Very good, have made numerous times
Apr 3, 2009
made this several times & its great!