Curry Shrimp and Rice
My family and I absolutely love curry shrimp and rice, but this is the only one I know of where all but two of the ingredients come straight out of the pantry. To add a little heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh ground chili paste. —Angela Spengler, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced potatoes, drained
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 to 3 teaspoons Thai red chili paste, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (61-70 per pound)
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- Optional: lime wedges and fresh basil
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, corn, coconut milk, bamboo shoots, curry powder, chili sauce if desired, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors have blended, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp; heat through. Prepare rice according to package directions; serve with curry. Sprinkle with additional curry powder. If desired, serve with lime wedges and basil.