Spicy Sweet Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 3 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir in beans; cover and keep warm.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in pineapple juice, brown sugar and chili sauce; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, on high until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, 10-12 minutes.
- For salsa, toss pineapple with red pepper, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Once sauce has reduced, stir in shrimp and return just to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until shrimp turns pink, 2-3 minutes. Serve with rice mixture and salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 356 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Jul 18, 2019
This is delicious, I can’t believe it only has one review. This recipe is exactly what the recipe says....sweet and spicy! I left our the black beans for the rice due to dietary restrictions for a family member but we all loved this dish! We will be making this again and again!
Jan 31, 2019
This was SO flavorful and just amazing. My entire family just loved it. We added some red pepper flakes to the shrimp mixture (due to personal preference) and also added lime juice and cilantro to the rice. It was awesome, my husband is already asking for it again : )