Sweet & Spicy Pineapple Salsa
There's a definite kick to this fruity combination, which makes a colorful topping for chicken or pork.—Donna Kelly, Provo, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill pineapple, covered, over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Grill jalapenos until tender, turning occasionally.
- Let pineapple and peppers cool slightly; finely chop and transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Chill at least 2 hours. Before serving, allow salsa to come to room temperature.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 83 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa in Taste of Home August/September 2011