Halibut with Kiwi Salsa
Angling for a healthy way to prepare seafood, our Test Kitchen came up with a recipe for halibut with a tropical twist. Grilled to tender perfection, the fillets stay moist with a light coating of lemon and oil. They're topped with a fruity salsa of emerald kiwifruit, golden mango and red peppers for an eye-catching presentation.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and cubed (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 4 kiwifruit, peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 3/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 halibut fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large bowl, combine the mangoes, kiwi, red pepper, onion, jalapeno, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, lime juice, mint, honey and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a small bowl, combine oil and remaining lemon juice; drizzle over both sides of fish. Sprinkle with chili powder and remaining salt.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill fillets, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Halibut with Kiwi Salsa in Light & Tasty April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.