Salmon with Mango-Citrus Salsa
My mother would make this for us on weeknights in summer—this was the only way we would eat fish. You can make the salsa a day ahead of time. Just keep it in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap. —Najmussahar Ahmed, Canton, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (2 cups salsa)
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- For salsa, finely grate enough peel from orange to measure 2 teaspoons; finely grate enough peel from lemon to measure 1/2 teaspoon. Place citrus peels in a small bowl. Cut lemon crosswise in half; squeeze 2 tablespoons lemon juice and add to bowl.
- Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of orange; stand orange upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from orange. Cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit.
- Add olive oil, capers, mint, parsley, pepper flakes and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper to lemon juice mixture. Gently stir in mango, green onion and orange sections.
- Sprinkle salmon with the remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add salmon; cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 1/2 cup salsa: 433 calories, 26g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Salmon with mango salsa verde in Country Woman October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.