Salmon with Gingered Rhubarb Compote
“Rhubarb plays the role of lemon in this recipe, brightening and accenting the rich taste of the fish. I like to double the amount of compote and save half for another fast and healthy meal.” —Susan Asanovic, Wilton, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet white wine or white grape juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- In a large ovenproof skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add rhubarb and brown sugar; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in the wine, ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place salmon over rhubarb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with additional green onions if desired.