Rosadene Herold of Likeville, Indiana relies on her microwave to get delicious whitefish on the table in no time.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 halibut or cod fillets (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- THYME WINE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried thyme and salt
- Place the fillets in a microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with bouillon. In a bowl, combine the next seven ingredients. Pour over fish. Place lemon over fillets. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid; reserve 2 tablespoons.
- For sauce, place butter and garlic in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and reserved cooking liquid. Cook 30 seconds longer or until bubbly. Serve over fish.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 256 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Originally published as Poached Halibut in Light & Tasty August/September 2003