Halibut with Cream Sauce
"This is definitely a family favorite," Ginny reports from Ketchikan, Alaska. "I serve the flaky fish and rich white sauce alongside rice pilaf."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 pounds halibut or salmon steaks
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place butter and onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 34 in. x 18 in.). Cut fish into serving-size pieces, removing and discarding the bones. Place over the onion.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and seasonings. Set aside 1/2 cup for serving. Spoon the remaining sauce over fish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Fold foil around fish and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 572 calories, 43g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Halibut with Cream Sauce in Quick Cooking November/December 2003