Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (12 to 14 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; place pineapple over chicken. Whisk the brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, ginger and reserved juice until smooth; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice): 572 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 69g protein.
Dec 8, 2016
This was so good and really easy!! I added a sweet red bell pepper for color. Delicious! Will make again.
Feb 20, 2014
Made this Tuesday for Supper over rice. My wife loved it and to make it again. The liquid created great flavor to the chicken. I used 3 pounds of chicken legs with the skin removed. Next time will double the sauce mix, reserving the second can of pineapple slices for something else. Rating: 6 stars out of 5.
Jan 18, 2014
Just made it. Very Good. Will make again.
Nov 13, 2013
This was a tasty dish that my kids just loved! Had a friend stop by while it was cooking & asked what it was then proceeded to ask for the recipe!! It was a little too sweet so when I make it again I will reduce the amount of brown sugar in it.
Apr 12, 2013
This was so easy to make and very tasty. It will be one of my favorites.
Mar 28, 2013
This dish was the tastiest crock pot dinner I've ever made. So flavorful and healthy! Served it with steamed broccoli topped off the dinner.
Nov 17, 2012
This was delicious. Even my daughter, who strangely hates all sauces, marinades and condiments, LOVED this. I will definitely be making this again, and sharing the recipe.
Nov 17, 2012
I made this when I was reminiscing about our anniverary trip to Hawaii we took this time last year. It was good--I didn't have any ginger so I left it out. I think it needs some more brown sugar but overall it was good and my husband liked it so it will go in my recipe box :)
Jan 1, 2011
I used boneless instead of bone in and it was great still. Pineapple flavor very subtle.