Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Chicken Sandwiches
My kids ask for chicken sloppy joes, and this version has a bonus of sweet pineapple. This is great to double for a potluck. Yummy topped with smoked Gouda cheese. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) sweet and spicy barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Optional: Bibb lettuce leaves and thinly sliced red onion
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-quart slow cooker. Combine 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and mustard; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken; discard liquid. Shred chicken with 2 forks and add back to slow cooker. Add crushed pineapple and remaining barbecue sauce; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with toppings as desired.Freeze option: Place shredded chicken in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 415 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Sweet Pineapple Pulled Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019