Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Chicken Sandwiches
My kids ask for chicken sloppy joes, and this version has a bonus of sweet pineapple. It is perfect to double for a potluck and is yummy topped with smoked Gouda cheese. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) sweet and spicy barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Optional: Bibb lettuce leaves and thinly sliced red onion
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-quart slow cooker. Combine 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and mustard; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken; discard liquid. Shred chicken with 2 forks and add back to slow cooker. Add crushed pineapple and remaining barbecue sauce; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with toppings as desired.Freeze option: Place shredded chicken in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently; add broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips