Hot Pineapple Ham Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 10 slices Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese, optional
- 10 kaiser rolls, split
- Mix first 4 ingredients. Place half of the mixture in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the ham. Repeat layers. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours.
- Using tongs, remove ham from slow cooker, leaving pineapple mixture behind; keep warm. In a large saucepan, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in pineapple mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve ham, pineapple mixture and, if desired, cheese on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 468 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1540mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2017
A tasty alternative to a traditional ham sandwich! The pineapple mixture has a good balance of sweet and savory and someone who really likes sweet/salty combos would likely enjoy this. The sauce could be served on the side for dipping. This makes enough for a family of five with leftovers. Next time, I will likely try it with thicker ham slices.
Jul 20, 2017
This had good flavor but I think it would be better using a thicker cut ham.
Jul 14, 2017
Wonderful recipe--my husband doesn't like Swiss cheese, but agreed that everything works together in these sandwiches to result in a very tasty treat. My local grocery store had high-quality deli ham on sale for $3.99 a pound, and I am so glad I remembered this recipe and took advantage of that sale. It was easy to put together and a great meal for a hot day since it utilizes the crockpot. I will definitely be making this recipe again.