Hot Pineapple Side Dish
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup coarsely crushed saltines (14 crackers)
- Drain the pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup of the juice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Add the butter and 1 cup cheese; mix well. Gently stir in pineapple.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle crushed crackers on top; drizzle with reserved pineapple juice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 330 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 24, 2013
I tried this recipe for the first time last year! It was incredibly simple and yet so delicious! This is a wonderful side dish for our Christmas dinner which always has ham as the main entrée. I was pulling the recipe out of my virtual recipe box for a repeat performance this year and realized I never wrote a review. This will definitely become a traditional side dish for my family's Christmas dinner. Thank you for sharing! =D
Aug 29, 2011
I felt like I was taking a risk in making this strange sounding recipe-- but what a payoff! The children and the adults at the dinner table gobbled it up.
Dec 26, 2008
I took this to Christmas dinner and everyone loved it! My mother-in-law, who is a great cook said that I must bring it again!
Apr 22, 2008
This is the weirdest recipe I have ever tried. It got better the more I ate, but it is still an odd combination of textures and flavors. Must be a regional recipe.