Polynesian Pulled Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 hoagie buns, split
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Shred chicken with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through.
- Serve with buns and, if desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve on buns. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Sep 30, 2017
Love this recipe, will add it to our favorites list. It did thicen nicely for me.
Oct 14, 2016
It was very good, mine did not thicken up either. Used frozen peppers & onion mixture thawed, maybe should of blotted with paper towel. Made it for a pot luck. Most of it went. Making again today for our dinner. My question is where is the calorie info??
May 4, 2016
The chicken had a wonderful taste, fairly sweet. The sauce never really thickened up, so the sandwiches were very messy and drippy. Don't know if I'll make this again.