Fruity Chicken Salad Mini Sandwiches
Chicken salad ranks among the classics, and this version is a hit at parties of all kinds. Feel free to substitute green grapes for the red, or toss in extra strawberries when they're in season. The filling can also be served on a bed of salad greens. —Marcy Kamery, Blasdell, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 potato dinner rolls or Hawaiian sweet rolls, split
- Place first five ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice and seasonings; stir into chicken mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- To serve, fill each roll with 1/3 cup chicken mixture.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2 sandwiches: 524 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Fruitful chicken salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.