Spicy Shrimp & Watermelon Kabobs
My three sons can polish off a watermelon in one sitting. Before they dig in, I set aside a few slices to make these zesty shrimp kabobs. —Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon (1 inch), divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- For glaze, place soy sauce, chili sauce, honey, garlic and 2 cups watermelon in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup glaze for serving.
- On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp, onion and remaining watermelon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place kabobs on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turns pink, brushing with remaining glaze during the last 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with reserved glaze.
Health Tip: A serving of fruit with dinner? Check. Along with 20 percent of the daily value for vitamin C.
Nutrition Facts1 kabob with 1 tablespoon glaze: 172 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Grilled Watermelon Shrimp Kebabs with Spicy-Sweet Glaze in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.