In this easy recipe, ordinary rice is dressed up with peas, shredded carrot and seasonings. This fresh-tasting and colorful side dish goes great with a variety of meaty main courses.—Doyle Rounds, Bridgewater, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; add lemon juice. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 103 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Rice Medley in Taste of Home December/January 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.