Lemon Rice Salad
This salad makes a refreshing side dish for a special occasion meal. I take it to holiday potluck suppers and other family gatherings. People enjoy the combination of flavors, and I like that it can be made ahead. —Margery Richmond, Lacombe, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cup cooked wild rice
- 2 cups diced seeded cucumbers
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- For dressing, place first seven ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. In a large bowl, toss long grain rice and wild rice with dressing. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Stir cucumbers, green onions, parsley, basil and pepper into rice mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours. Stir in pecans just before serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Lemon Rice Salad in Taste of Home February/March 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.