Apple, Butternut and Sausage Dressing
I'd heard about using squash in dressing, so I combined four things I love into one dish: apples, butternut squash, bacon and maple sausage! Now, it's one of the most requested dishes during the holidays. —Brenda Crouch, Ansley, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 45 min.
Makes20 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound maple pork sausage
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 6 cups seasoned stuffing cubes, divided
- 2 cups crushed multigrain Club Crackers (2-1/2x1 inch) (about 40 crackers)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place squash and apples on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- Add sausage, celery, onions and carrots to pan; cook over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add 5 cups stuffing cubes, crackers, evaporated milk, soup, eggs, rice, sour cream, seasonings and reserved squash mixture and bacon; toss. Transfer to two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Lightly crush remaining 1 cup stuffing cubes. Sprinkle over tops; dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbly and lightly browned, 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 401 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Apple, Butternut and Sausage Dressing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019