Hazelnut and Pear Salad
My husband, daughter and I raise hazelnuts in the Willamette Valley-so this salad is a family favorite. Since our home state of Oregon grows pears and cherries, too, I included them in the recipe I dreamed up. —Karen Kirsch, Saint Paul, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup chopped red onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- For dressing, place 1/3 cup hazelnuts, 2 tablespoons onion, water, vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and paprika in a food processor; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, combine salad greens and remaining onion; add 1/2 cup dressing and toss to coat. Divide among six salad plates.
- Top each salad with pear, cheese, cherries and remaining hazelnuts; drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 22g fat (4g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 29, 2010
This was a fantastic salad. I made it with pecans because that is what I had and it was great. My whole family loved it!
Jan 28, 2010
I used dried cranberries and goat cheese since I had those things.