Hazelnut Pear Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups whole hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 ripe medium pears, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- BROWNED BUTTER GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Chop 1 cup hazelnuts. Place remaining hazelnuts in a food processor; pulse until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda and ground hazelnuts; add to creamed mixture alternately with ricotta cheese, beating after each addition just until combined. Fold in pears and chopped hazelnuts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in milk, vanilla and enough confectioners' sugar to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 533 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2017
First time for this cake I entered club baking contest 2nd prize! I am not a big baker but, this cake was over the top. I took my time it was perfect! Taste andpresentation. Cathleen messina Babylon NY