Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), seeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Place squash in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place yogurt, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a blender. Drain squash and transfer to blender; cover and process until pureed. Return mixture to saucepan; heat through. Stir in cheeses until melted.
- Drain pasta; add to squash mixture. Toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 422 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 12g fiber), 20g protein.
Apr 29, 2019
I used only half of the pasta called for and frozen instead of fresh butternut squash. The main flavor of the finished dish was that of the butternut squash. I couldn't really taste the cheese. That being said, I did enjoy this recipe and will make it again when I'm craving mac and cheese.
Nov 27, 2018
The squash is a great addition to this dish! Plus, it's a great way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers. We omitted the nutmeg and bread crumbs but added bacon-cheddar shredded cheese as a topping. Definitely a repeat recipe!
Nov 23, 2018
This was amazing !! my guest loved it . I added a little more nutmeg and some cinnamon - delicious!!
Oct 31, 2018
There's another recipe like this on Simply Scratch that uses about the same amount of cheese but makes a 9 x 13 pan with a pound of pasta and butternut puree. I like the yogurt idea on this one and the nutrition information is a big plus. Thanks for sharing
Oct 30, 2018
This is now one of my fav mac and cheese recipes! I like to make mac
Oct 23, 2018
I saw this in the magazine, realized I had everything on hand and went to my kitchen. I followed the recipe exactly. It was really tasty. Not just a good healthy recipe, but an awesome mac and cheese. I will be making this again tonight. I have a pot roast in the crock pot and some kale for a salad to complete the meal, but my husband would be happy with just the mac and cheese.
Oct 15, 2018
This recipe was delicious! Super smooth and fabulous flavor! I'm not quick to give 5*s, but this one deserves it... PLUS it's very simple.