Butternut Squash Apple Crisp
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- OAT TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°. Peel and cut squash lengthwise in half; discard seeds. Cut squash into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine squash, apples, corn syrup and lemon juice; toss to coat. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; stir into squash mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, oats and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake 25 minutes longer or until squash and apples are tender and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 252 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 17, 2013
imade this last year for a after dinner desertit was very good next time all add more cinnamon and brown sugar
Jul 29, 2011
It needed more topping so I'll adjust that the next time I make this.
Sep 30, 2010
This one is hard to rate. . . I made this for friends who adored it, but my husband and I didn't like it as much as just plain apple crisp. The recipe itself is really good.. . the sauce and topping have a wonderful flavor, I just didn't like how I kept tasting squash! (Guess that's what I get for trying to make a dessert with nutritional value.)
Oct 29, 2009
Absolutely wonderful, you don't even notice you are eating squash. My husband loves this and it's an easy for me to get some vegetables into his diet!
Oct 11, 2009
What an absolutely heavenly dish. I love the way the apples and squash work together and you don't even notice that you are eating squash at all. They belong together like peas and carrots. I will be making this easy and nutricious recipe regularly from now on. I have already shared it with four other people, and can't wait to take it to work. I am very impressed!!
Aug 22, 2008
This recipe doesn't give an amount of butter needed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.