Cast-Iron Skillet Steak
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 5 min.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 beef NY strip or ribeye steak (1 pound), 1 inch thick
- Remove steak from refrigerator and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt; let stand 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over high heat until extremely hot, 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon salt in bottom of skillet; pat beef dry with paper towels. Place steak into skillet and cook until steak is easily moved, 1-2 minutes; flip, placing steak in a different section of the skillet. Cook 30 seconds and then begin moving steak, occasionally pressing slightly to ensure even contact with skillet.
- Continue turning and flipping until cooked to desired degree of doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked beef: 494 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 2983mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein.
Aug 1, 2019
Very tasty and awesome recipe
Jun 4, 2019
Apr 6, 2019
DH cooked two Choice cut strip steaks using our cast iron skillet. He used some salt, but not as much as in the recipe. Instead he used dried herbs after turning the steak over. He put a small amount of butter in the pan while the steak was resting on a cutting board tented with foil and put in a sprig of fresh rosemary and some freshly cracked pepper. After the steak was sliced, he spooned on the herb butter. YUM!!! I must admit...it sure made a mess of my stove...but worth it!!!!!
Feb 26, 2019
This looks so good - and easy but,alas, both my husband and I absolutely couldn't have nearly 3,000 mg of salt in one serving. I would like to try fixing steak this way but wonder how you could get around the salt problem.