Cast-Iron Skillet Steak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 beef NY strip or ribeye steak (1 pound), 1-inch thick
- Remove steak from refrigerator and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt; let stand 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over high heat until extremely hot, 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon salt in bottom of skillet; pat beef dry with paper towels. Place steak into skillet and cook until steak is easily moved, 1-2 minutes; flip, placing steak in a different section of the skillet. Cook 30 seconds and then begin moving steak, occasionally pressing slightly to ensure even contact with skillet.
- Continue turning and flipping until cooked to desired degree of doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked beef: 494 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 2983mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2019
This looks so good - and easy but,alas, both my husband and I absolutely couldn't have nearly 3,000 mg of salt in one serving. I would like to try fixing steak this way but wonder how you could get around the salt problem.