Economical and delicious round steak is used in this comforting casserole.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, seasoning blend and pepper; add beef cubes and shake to coat. In a skillet over medium heat, brown beef in oil. Place beef and drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- To skillet, add water, broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms. Pour over meat; mix well.
- Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle peas over meat. Spread potatoes evenly over top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15-20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 339 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Party Beef Casserole in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Second Edition