Steak Pot Pie
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika; add beef, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion in oil until beef is browned and onion is tender. Add broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Uncover; stir in the potatoes. Cook until heated through. Spoon meat mixture into a greased 7-in. pie plate or 2-cup baking dish.
- For the crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit baking dish. Use a small cookie cutter to cut a shape in the center of the pastry; place pastry over meat mixture. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of dish; flute edges. Brush with milk.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned on edges.
Dec 28, 2015
Great simple recipe! So tasty! Here's how I've adjusted it-I use my leftover roasts. I chop them into bite size pieces and put them in with everything else from the recipe. I also add a cup of frozen vegetables like corn, peas and carrots.
Dec 16, 2014
This was very good.