Steak and Onion Pie
Total TimePrep: 1-3/4 hours Bake: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- In a Dutch oven, lightly brown onion in oil. Meanwhile, combine the flour, allspice, salt, pepper and ginger in a large shallow bowl. Add meat cubes, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
- Remove onion and set aside. Brown beef on all sides. Add water; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots and reserved onions; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas; cook until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon meat mixture into an 8-in. square baking dish. Roll crust into a 9-in. square; place over meat mixture and seal edges to pan, trimming crust if needed. Cut several small steam vents in crust. Bake at 450° until pastry is browned, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 460 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 18, 2017
This is the worst meat pie that we have ever had. We went exactly by the receipe. We cut the meat pie ito quarters for supper and ended up throwing the rest in the garbage.
Oct 17, 2011
The addition of carrots and peas makes this better than other steak and onion pie recipes I've tried, plus the meal as a whole is easier to make since you need to make one less side dish that way.