Steak and Potato Pie
—Dorothea Coe, Port Angeles, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, ginger and allspice; set aside 2 tablespoons. Add meat to bag; seal and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook meat and onions in oil over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender. Gradually stir in reserved flour mixture. Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for pastry, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide pastry in half so one ball is slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Brush top with egg. Bake at 450° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 387 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1019mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Steak and Onion Pie in Reminisce March/April 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.