Vegetable, Steak and Eggs
Low-carb doesn't have to be skimpy with this lighter take on steak and eggs. I love cooking with squash, but feel free to toss in any vegetable combination you like. —Robert Deskin, Plantation, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 beef skirt steak or flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Rub steak with seasoning. Grill steak, covered, over medium-high heat or broil 3-4 in. from heat, 3-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Saute zucchini, squash and red pepper until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Add spinach, salt and pepper; cook and stir until wilted, 2 minutes. Divide among four plates; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter. Break eggs, one at a time, into pan; reduce heat to low. Cook to desired doneness. Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve over vegetables. Top with egg and cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: Swap canola oil for butter in this recipe and save a few grams of saturated fat per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 344 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 259mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Steak and Eggs in Simple & Delicious August/September 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.