Meat Loaf & Mashed Red Potatoes
Satisfy the meat-and-potatoes eaters in your house with this satisfying dish that all cooks up in one pot! Talk about classic comfort food. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces), cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and 1 cup beef stock. Microwave, covered, on high just until softened, 12-15 minutes. Transfer potato mixture to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine bread and remaining stock in a large bowl; let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, pulse mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add vegetable mixture, eggs, beef, pork, Worcestershire sauce, 1-1/4 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper to bread mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place meat mixture on an 18x12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil; shape into a 10x6-in. oval loaf. Lifting with foil, place in slow cooker on top of potatoes; press foil up sides and over edges of slow cooker, creating a bowl to contain meat loaf juices. Mix together glaze ingredients; spread over loaf.
- Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads 160°, 4-5 hours. Using a turkey baster, remove and discard liquid contained in foil; lifting with foil, remove meat loaf to a platter (or carefully remove meat loaf using foil, draining liquid into a small bowl). Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Drain potatoes, reserving cooking liquid; transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Mash, gradually adding butter, remaining salt and pepper and enough reserved cooking liquid to reach desired consistency. Serve with meat loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 2/3 cup mashed potatoes: 485 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 1107mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Based on Matthew's Best Ever Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.