Oven Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Brown on both sides in drippings. Top meat with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion. Sprinkle with tarragon and bacon. Cover and bake at 325°, until meat is tender, 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours, basting twice.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 3-4 minutes. Return meat to skillet and turn to coat with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 385 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 29, 2019
Jan 12, 2019
My mom and dad made that. YUMMY. Will make it myself.
Oct 19, 2018
these was extremely good! My husband and I loved it. My only differences were I cooked on top of stove, I used italian diced tomatoes and I was out of tarragon and used rosemary. Will definitely make again
Jun 19, 2018
To Jane in Florida: I've not tried this yet, but I suggest substituting dried thyme for the tarragon or dried rosemary. Put a teaspoon of either in the palm of one hand, and crush the little twiggy bits with the fingers of the other hand. It releases more of the flavor. Both thyme and rosemary are very pungent so err on the side of caution, i.e., start with the smaller amount given in the recipe. P.S.: I'd also add a good pinch of sugar to the canned tomatoes. It cuts the acidity so you get a more "velvety" taste when you add the cream.
Jun 19, 2018
I have made this in the past, but remember using tomato soup, not diced, no bacon and no tarragon. I live in Florida and have never used tarragon, haven't been able to find it here either fresh or dried. This was simmered on the stovetop, not in the oven. What substitute can be used for the tarragon? Kind of similar to the dish made with ground beef and gravy.
Mar 23, 2017
OK but probably won't repeat.
Feb 7, 2017
I have never made Swiss Steak because I didn't like my mom's version and dreaded when she made it when I was growing up. So I was delighted and surprised at how yummy this recipe is. Everyone really enjoyed it.
Jan 28, 2017
Loved it!! Not pricey to make but lots of flavor and the dish felt rich.
Jan 29, 2011
My family loves this dish!