Baked Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sharp Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- Cut meat into two portions; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1 tablespoon flour and salt; coat meat on both sides. In a skillet, brown meat in oil. Transfer meat to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- To pan drippings, add tomatoes, carrot, celery, onion, Worcestershire sauce and remaining flour. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 392 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1066mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 1, 2018
Except for doubling the recipe, I made no other changes. We loved it so much, I made it two weeks in a row.
Jan 2, 2014
Whole family loved this!! Simple to make!
Apr 21, 2011
I was looking for something new to make for my husband... he really liked it. I will make this again.
Feb 28, 2011
I love swiss steak and know so does my son....very good especially with creamy mashed potatoes!!
Jan 23, 2011
nice and tasy
Nov 7, 2010
We loved this recipe. My husband could not believe how tender the steak turned out. I will definitely make this again and again!
Nov 7, 2010
We loved this recipe. My husband could not believe how tender the steak turned out. I will definitely fix this again!
Jul 15, 2009
I LOVE this recipe! So glad I found it, I'll use it often.