Italian Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat form bag; pound to flatten.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown steak on both sides in butter. Add the tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add green pepper and onion. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cook for 2 minutes or until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2012
This is very good! I did use more peppers, onions and tomatoes. I also used fresh basil. I served this with rice and warm bread. I will definitely make this again!
Apr 12, 2011
Wow. What a great recipe and so yummy. I served it with rice.