Italian Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat form bag; pound to flatten.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown steak on both sides in butter. Add the tomatoes, salt, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add green pepper and onion. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cook for 2 minutes or until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 2, 2012
This is very good! I did use more peppers, onions and tomatoes. I also used fresh basil. I served this with rice and warm bread. I will definitely make this again!
Apr 12, 2011
Wow. What a great recipe and so yummy. I served it with rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.