Swiss Steak Dinner
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour and 50 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 7 to 9 small red potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds), halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with onions and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining salt; gently toss to coat. Add the bay leaf. Spoon tomato soup over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Place beans around edge of dish. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 440 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 40g protein.
Jun 15, 2015
My family loved it! We will make it again!
Feb 23, 2013
My husband really liked this. However, don't use steak which is too thin. The first time I used the round steak, but I think boneless chuck would be even better and I will use that next time. Don't overcook it either. Great one-dish dinner and easy to prepare.
May 30, 2012
This recipe is absolutely delicious !! After it was all gone it left me wanting more! We will definitely be having it again, and again .
Mar 2, 2012
I have a very picky family and they did not turn their noses up at this dish. Some of them even had seconds.
Aug 4, 2010
I have been looking at this recipe for a while in the Casserole Cookbook. I finally made it last night. I have to say that is one of the best recipies that I have ever found. I was instantly a family favorite!!! Easy to make too!!
Apr 9, 2009
Re: Swiss Steak Dinner This was new to us. We loved this dish, and will have if often. DianeK
Jan 17, 2008
Wow, this recipe is reminiscent of one my mother made back in the 1960s -- it might even be the same recipe! My whole family enjoyed this and I already have requests to make it again.